Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Sad Trombone

Unfortunately sometimes projects will fall through for me for a variety of reasons - something will be cancelled, I'm participating in a "cattle call" with other artists on spec (sometimes to my knowledge, sometimes not) and someone else gets chosen, I'll just get straight up screwed, or there's just a difference of visions. Here's some things that have fallen through over the years..... Some helmets I worked on for a company called Scorpion. Why these didnt get made is still a mystery....there's a whole story behind this thing, but I'll kind of leave it be....let's just say make sure you get stuff in writing and also watch who you show ideas to, because you can get ripped off. Sad trombone. p.s. The three helmets on the left and the upper right were inspired by the movie Aliens. GAME OVER!!!
I was able to use the rear graphic I created for the fiery biomech helmet (middle right side) for other stuff though....
Next up, I was contacted to work on some posters for No Doubt's 2009 reunion tour. All told I was originally asked to do 15 posters, so for about a week I went into an intense brainstorming session coming up with ideas for posters. It was going to be nuts with insane deadlines, but I was ready to go. The only direction I remember there being was Clockwork Orange and 60's futurism. Here's sketches that I came up with....
Response was pretty positive for all the designs except for the skankin' Notre Dame guy and I began to move forward on 4 of the designs.
But unfortunately in the middle of the last two, they decided on a consistent direction for the series (other artists were working on posters as well) and the last two didn't fit into it. So all told only two of the 15 posters ever saw finalization. Sad trombone. In the future I'll show some other projects that fell through for various reasons and make sure my sad trombone is tuned up and ready to go......

No comments: